We are pleased to announce the release of DSpace 7.4! This release provides new features and many improvements and bug fixes, while also aligning with our three-releases-per-year roadmap for the 7.x series of releases.
The 7.4 release concentrates on maintenance tasks (bug fixes, usability improvements, etc), but also resolves two Tier 2 priories and two Tier 3 priorities in our 7.x technical roadmap. Donated features and improvements are also included in this release.
New and improved features include:
- Recent Submissions are now listed on the homepage (donated by DSpaceDirect, developed by DSquare Technologies)
- Batch export (to Zip) of Collections or Items available in the Admin UI
- Batch import (from Zip) available in the Admin UI.
- Thumbnails are now displayed in all search/browse screens (donated by Michael Spalti, Willamette University)
- Support for Google Captcha on “New user registration” form (donated by 4Science)
- Support for Google Analytics 4 (“Universal Analytics” is still also supported)
- Support for Markdown and MathJax in Item abstracts. Support for line breaks in all metadata fields.
- Support for Remote Handle Resolver, allowing for Handle Server to be run remotely.
- Enhanced support for Amazon S3 as a storage location, including support for IAM Roles.
- Allow for deletion of old Processes from the Admin UI.
- Request a Copy can now be sent to multiple recipients at once (donated by Mark Wood, IUPUI)
- Privacy statement and end user agreement can now be disabled.
- Add configurations for page sizes to many browse/search pages (donated by Mark Wood, IUPUI and Mark Cooper, LYRASIS)
Other fixes include:
- Fixed issue where “start-handle-server” command line tool wasn’t working properly
- MyDSpace: Entities are now displayed properly, workflow tasks now refresh after state change
- Submission: After drag & drop of a file, the user goes directly to the submission form.
- Statistics: fixed issue where file names were sometimes missing or replaced by UUID.
- Thumbnails: restricted thumbnails are now supported and are displayed if you have access
- Search: admins were seeing private/withdrawn items in normal searches. Those now are only visible in the “Admin Search” page.
- Browse by pages: fixed issue where pagination was not working properly on all browse by pages and diacritics were not working properly in filter boxes
- Curation tasks: the output of the task is now visible from the Admin UI.
- Password authentication security enhancements: user must provide current password when changing their password. Password minimum requirements are now configurable, allowing for you to require users to create more secure passwords.
- Shibboleth authentication: Admin menu now reloads automatically after login
- Numerous caching & performance fixes to ensure various pages will now automatically refresh whenever underlying objects change.
- Numerous other bug fixes and improvements. See the Release Notes for details.
New and improved Language support:
- Finnish (Suomi) language updates donated by Reeta Kuuskoski (reetagithub)
- French (Français) language updates donated by Pierre Lasou (pilasou)
- German (Deutsch) language updates donated by Sascha Szott (saschaszott)
- Greek (Ελληνικά) language added & donated by Kostis Alexandris (kostisalex)
- Hindi (हिंदी) language added & donated by DSquare Technologies
- Kazakh (Қазақ) language added & donated by myrza1
- Brazilian Portuguese (Português do Brasil) updates donated by João Fernandes (joao-uefrom), lucaszc and Danilo Felicio Jr (danilofjr)
- Spanish (Español) language updates donated by Arvo Consultores y Tecnología. S.L
- Swedish (Svenska) language added & donated by Urban Andersson (jokermanse). Updates later donated by Reeta Kuuskoski (reetagithub)
A total of 47 individuals contributed to 7.4, with major institutional contributions coming from 4Science and Atmire.
Some features/improvements in the 7.4 release were supported by the DSpace Development Fund. We gratefully recognize the generous financial support of all institutions who have donated to this fund.
For a full list of changes and contributors in 7.4, see our Release Notes.
Would you like to contribute towards our next release (7.5)?
DSpace 7.5 will be released in February, 2023. While the scope of this release is still being finalized, we welcome contributions from anyone. Contributions may take the form of:
- Contributing money to our DSpace Development Fund – All funds go directly towards development in the next release, and you will be acknowledged on our DSpace Development Fund page.
- Contributing code to 7.5 – As a volunteer developer you can determine which issue ticket you’d like to work on. Please get in touch with Tim Donohue if you have any questions.
Download DSpace 7.4 today!